Swimming has always been a favorite past time all over the world. Young people spend their summers at the local community pools, a lake, or on the ocean beaches. Older swimmers find swimming to be an exercise that is easy on the joints and soothing for the body. While swimming itself is lots of fun, it is also an exciting sport to watch. Swimming is a popular Olympic sport with many fans.
Biomechanics of swimming
The study of biomechanics is a combination of the study of motion, human anatomy and the principles of physics. Swimmers use the science of biomechanics to improve their swim performance. Biomechanics is also considered when designing swimsuits for competitive swimmers. Even a slight improvement in speed due to biomechanics can make the difference when racing.
- Biomechanics of Swimming: An article that explains the biomechanics of swimming.
- The Science of Swimming: An article about the biomechanics and physics of swimming.
- Freestyle Propulsion: An article discussing freestyle propulsion.
- Biomechanics of Swimming and Flight: An article comparing the biomechanics of swimming and flight.
- Swimming Biomechanics and Injury Prevention: An article discussing the need to understand biomechanics to prevent injuries in athletes.
- Biomechanical Parameters on the Straddle Entry: An article discussing the biomechanical parameters on the straddle entry used in lifesaving and lifeguarding.
- Velocity Profile in Streamline Swimming: An article with visuals considering the velocity profile in streamline swimming.
- The Big Deal About Swim Suits: An article about the biomechanics of the swim suit.
Hydrodynamics of swimming
Hydrodynamics is the study of liquids in motion and how it interacts with mass. Swimmers are concerned with hydrodynamics because in understanding how water moves, they can become more competent swimmers. Hydrodynamics are involved in propelling a swimmer from one place to another. The swimmer who understands hydrodynamics will be more efficient.
- The Fastest Swimmers on Earth: An article comparing the hydrodynamics of various swimming animals and humans.
- Fundamental Hydrodynamics of Swimming Propulsion: A study of human swimming propulsion.
- Hydrodynamic Analysis of Thumb Position: An article analyzing the hydrodynamics of different thumb positions in swimming.
- Hydrodynamics in Young Swimmers: A study of 6 young swimmers and hydrodynamic resistance.
- Resistance, Drag, and Hydrodynamics: An article discussing the physics of swimmer.
- The Science of Swimming: An article concerned with the hydrodynamics of swimming.
- Hydrodynamics in Sports: An article that discusses aerodynamics and hydrodynamics in sports, including swimming.
- Gliding and Kicking in the Swim Turn: An article that studies the hydrodynamic drag in the gliding and underwater kicking in the swim turn.
Physiology of swimming
Physiology, as it relates to sports such as swimming, is the study of how the human body relates to physical stress. Understanding physiology is an important part of sports medicine. A swimmer who is concerned with the physiology of swimming can create training plans that minimize injury and maximize strength. The function of physiology of swimming is to ensure that athletes operate at peak performance
- Physiology and Biochemistry: An article that discusses physiology, biochemistry and the energy zones in swimming.
- Physiology of Sport and Exercise An article discussing the physiology of sport and exercise.
- Swimming Physiology: An article discussing energy metabolism and swimming philosophy.
- Age-Related Decline in Physiological Function: An article about a longitudinal study in peak swimming performance.
Psychology of swimming
Psychology is an important aspect of competitive swimming. To win, not only do swimmers have to be strong and fast, they must have a positive attitude. They must believe that they are winners. Coaches are concerned with their swimmers psychological well being and prepare them physically and mentally for competition.
- Swim Psychology: An article devoted to the basics of the psychology of swimming.
- 5 Ways to Make Swimming Fun Again: An article discussing the things you can do to have fun while swimming competitively.
- How Swimmers Approach Training and Competition: An article discussing the psychology of swimming and mental preparation for competition.
- Swimming Quotes: A collection of motivational swimming quotes from well known swimmers.
- Behavioral Dynamics in Swimming: The Appropriate Use of Inertial Measurement Units
- How to be a Better Swim Parent: A list of directives for parents of children who swim competitively.
- Building Mental Strength: An article to help parents build their swimming children’s confidence.
- Mental Skills of Fast Swimmers: A top 10 list of the mental traits of fast swimmers.
Training for swimming
Man is the only mammal that has to learn to swim so training is important for any swimmer. For competitive swimmers, training is even more important. Without a good training program a swimmer will not be successful. A good training program helps to build endurance, strength and skill.
- Training for Swimming: Training tips to become a better swimmer.
- The Importance of Strength Training in Swimming: An article that discusses how strength training can create a competitive edge over opponents.
- Swimming Exercises and Training: A collection of swimming exercises and training tips.
- Swim Training: A list of exercises to help build strength and endurance for swimming.
- Principles of Training: An article that discusses the fundamental principles of training for swimming.
- Interval Training: An article that discusses interval training for swimming distances.
- Training Drills for Open Water Competition: A collection of 3 drills to train with before competing in open water races.
- Strength Training: A list of exercises that aid in building strength for the swimmer.
Most people can name at least one famous swimmer. Olympic swimmers are often idolized by the public. During the 2008 Summer Olympics, the world was wowed and amazed by Michael Phelps. The following list is a list of famous swimmers, including Michael Phelps. While they are not all Olympic Gold Medalists, they have all carved out a place of recognition in the swimming world.
- Michael Phelps: The Wikipedia page for Michael Phelps, the most successful and most decorated Olympian of all time.
- Mark Spitz: An article about Olympic Gold Medalist Mark Spitz.
- Gertrude Ederle: An article about Gertrude Ederle, the first woman to swim the English Channel.
- Annette Kellerman: An article about Annette Kellerman who is said to have been the mother of synchronized swimming.
- Esther Williams: A short biography of Esther Williams, Olympic swimmer, movie star and synchronized swimmer.
- Captain Matthew Webb: An article about Captain Matthew Webb, the first swimmer to cross the English Channel.
- Coney Island Polar Bear Club: Information on the oldest winter bathing organization in the United States.
- Johnny Weissmuller: The wikipedia page of Johnny Weismuller who was best known for his film role as Tarzan. He was an Olympic swimming champion.
- Martin Strel: An article about Martin Strel, a Guinness record marathon swimmer who was the first person to swim the Amazon River.
- Bula Chowdhury: An article about Bula Chowdhury, the first woman to swim across seven seas in five continents.
Swimming tips and techniques
Swimming in a pool has different rules than swimming in an Ocean. In the list below are tips for pool swimming, open water swimming and how to swim in a rip current. Also listed are swimming techniques to improve swimming strokes. It is important to know how to swim correctly and how to swim in different settings.
- Swimming Tips for Kids: A page with a list of swimming safety tips for kids.
- General Technique Tips: A page listing variations of swimming strokes and general technique tips.
- Open Water Swimming Tips: An article for triathlon swimmers with tips for open water swimming.
- Swimming Strokes: A collection of videos containing technique and tips for swimming strokes.
- Rip Current Safety Tips: A page dedicated to teaching how to swim safely at the beach.
- Beach Safety Tips: A list of beach and ocean safety tips.
- Beginner Level Skills for Open Water Swimming: A list of 10 safety tips for open water swimming for beginners.
- Swimming Guide: A page with a list of swim strokes and a guide how to do each of them
- Successful Swimming Lessons: An article outlining tips for parents whose children take swimming lessons or are thinking of starting to take swimming lessons.
- Swimming Strokes and Techniques: A page listing many links to technique and directions how to do various strokes.